Mission and Analysis Tools
The ErgOptim department, entity of development of ergonomics in the transportation field, is managed by former IFSTTAR’s researchers in ergonomics and biomechanics, Elodie Chateauroux and Céline Grange Faivre.
The creed of this department is “universal design” in order to help the industry in designing vehicles (cars, industrial vehicles, trains, motorcycles, trams, buses, coaches) which take into account the usability needs and expectations of all future users:
- Driver or passenger,
- Small or higher height,
- Person with Reduced Mobility (PRM) or visually impaired user,
- Mother with stroller or traveller with heavy luggage,
- Youngster or senior.
THE ANALYSIS TOOLS
Upstream, the analysis is carried out using recognized scientific tools: diagnosis, overviews, ergonomic observation coupled with measurements, qualitative analysis and coding activity, surveys, audits, benchmarking, feedback and/or statistical analysis.
Surveys are conducted, in support of these analyses, to measure real activity:
- Physiological Measurements: electro frequency meter, gas exchange measurements, electromyography ...
- Biomechanical Measurements: groundwater pressure, force sensors, motion capture, photogrammetry ...
- Anthropometric Measurements
- Subjective Evaluations: scales of comfort and discomfort (VAS)
Then, digital ergonomics tools are used to:
- Analyze postures, movement and physical interactions;
- Simulate human activities in a digital environment;
- Simulate the driving activity;
- Create and develop models of comfort and discomfort.